top of page
  • Writer's

How to Get Out of Paying for Flood Insurance

Updated: Feb 27

Is your mortgage company requiring that you purchase flood insurance? Do you disagree with this requirement? Often, the notice from your lender that you are in a flood zone and must buy a flood policy can come as a shock. Let’s look at some of your options.

First, it is important to understand how your home or commercial building was originally included in a flood zone. Typically, FEMA works with your city and/or county to determine the areas where flooding is more likely to occur. Then, flood zones are created. If your structure is in one of these zones, your lender is mandated to require that the home be covered by a flood insurance policy.

Unfortunately, some of these flood zone maps are very old and have not been updated to include changes that may have occurred. Between climate change and building expansion, what once was a high-risk area may not be any more, and vice versa.

If you feel like your home was incorrectly identified as being in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) by FEMA, your next step is to find out if you can get a change in your flood zone designation. To do that you must fill out an application for a Letter of Map Change (LOMC) request. This will require FEMA to evaluate the flood determination for your property’s location. You can read more about the process on FEMA’s website. However, keep in mind that changes to a properties flood designation are difficult and time consuming, and in most cases the request is denied.

If you do end up needing flood insurance, we can shop the market for the best coverage, at the lowest price. Whether that ends up being a private flood insurance policy, or one through the NFIP, our sophisticated technology hunts down the best price for you. Start a quote and see how much you can save by choosing FloodPrice!


Related Posts

See All
bottom of page
Customer Reviews