top of page
  • Writer's pictureFloodPrice

Flood Elevation Certificate Explained

Updated: Jun 21, 2023

If you’ve ever purchased or shopped for flood insurance, you may have run across the term “elevation certificate (EC)”. An elevation certificate for flood insurance is used to determine your property’s susceptibility to flood damage by comparing certain property details, such as your building’s location, flood zone, and lowest point of elevation to the projected base flood elevation in your area as calculated by FEMA. This information can play a critical role in determining what you’ll pay for your flood insurance.

An elevation certificate may already exist for your home or property. To find out, check first with your local floodplain management office to see if they have one on file. You can also check with your home’s previous owner, builder, or property developer to see if they have a copy.

If your home or property doesn’t already have an elevation certificate, you will need to hire a state-licensed surveyor, engineer, or certified architect to survey your property and verify the elevation information to be used on the EC. The process can be expensive and burdensome, potentially costing hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Whether you’re opting for an NFIP policy or a private flood insurance policy, does not require an elevation certificate. So, if you’re looking for commercial residential flood insurance – without the hassle of obtaining an elevation certificate – look no further than!


Related Posts

See All


bottom of page
Customer Reviews